Garage Forum  

Go Back   Garage Forum > Garage Topics > Construction, Roofing, Framing, Wallboard

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

If the work bench gets to be to nice looking, then they turn into furniture. Mine looks nothing like that
oldognewtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
Chris
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Looks great, I am using an old formica counter top and I love everything about it except the lip on the outside edge so things won't lay flat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

I used an old solid core front door I had laying around. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
cruzn57

Default man I wish

I had the talent to do wood working like that.
the best thing I do with wood.................. is to burn it.
saves time trying to make things out of wood,
cruzn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn57 View Post
I had the talent to do wood working like that.
the best thing I do with wood.................. is to burn it.
saves time trying to make things out of wood,
I must admit, I have mastered the skill of making saw dust. I can do it with the best of em.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #16
mustanggarage
Garageaholic
GR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

nice job. that is the same technique I used on 2 of my workbenches.

this is my semi mobile workbench that never moves anymore lol. I built it with retractible castors so that I can move it around. now since I mounted my blue ray player to it, it pretty much just stays there. but I did run 2x4 all the way around it, the edges of the workbench take the most beating and plain plywood even double thick 3/4 inch tends to start delaminating and getting chipped up around the edge if you don't have some kind of reinforcement. especially if you do a lot of banging on it like I do.

this is my bench in front of my lift.

one thing I have discovered is that my benches that I polyurethaned tend to get really beat up, scuffed and marred and they don't look great after a few years. you then need to sand and refinish them. so on my bench in front of my lift I tried something different. I painted it with rustoleum hammered paint. it leaves kind of a rough hammered texture so writing on it needs something behind it like a notebook etc. but it is very easy to clean and durable. when it starts looking bad I just clean the dirt off it and spray it with rustoleum and it looks brand new again. this bench looks just about as good as the day I built it.
again doubled 3/4 inch plywood with 2x4 around the edges. it has stood up well for 6 years.

for my wood working bench I just glued and screwed a bunch of 2x4 together. very durable. this is the first woodworking project I ever did.

finally I had heard a lot of people using bowling alley wood for benches so when I found a guy that had some I bought it and really did not know what I wanted to do with it so I made this super heavy duty rolling bench to rebuild my automatic transmission. made with tripled 2x4 lap jointed for strength.

and it doubles as a handy redneck transmission jack lol.

Last edited by mustanggarage; 03-30-2014 at 05:15 PM.
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
Flounly40
Lurker, Junior Member

You really have good working area. You have enough space to move freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggarage View Post
nice job. that is the same technique I used on 2 of my workbenches.

this is my semi mobile workbench that never moves anymore lol. I built it with retractible castors so that I can move it around. now since I mounted my blue ray player to it, it pretty much just stays there. but I did run 2x4 all the way around it, the edges of the workbench take the most beating and plain plywood even double thick 3/4 inch tends to start delaminating and getting chipped up around the edge if you don't have some kind of reinforcement. especially if you do a lot of banging on it like I do.

this is my bench in front of my lift.

one thing I have discovered is that my benches that I polyurethaned tend to get really beat up, scuffed and marred and they don't look great after a few years. you then need to sand and refinish them. so on my bench in front of my lift I tried something different. I painted it with rustoleum hammered paint. it leaves kind of a rough hammered texture so writing on it needs something behind it like a notebook etc. but it is very easy to clean and durable. when it starts looking bad I just clean the dirt off it and spray it with rustoleum and it looks brand new again. this bench looks just about as good as the day I built it.
again doubled 3/4 inch plywood with 2x4 around the edges. it has stood up well for 6 years.

for my wood working bench I just glued and screwed a bunch of 2x4 together. very durable. this is the first woodworking project I ever did.

finally I had heard a lot of people using bowling alley wood for benches so when I found a guy that had some I bought it and really did not know what I wanted to do with it so I made this super heavy duty rolling bench to rebuild my automatic transmission. made with tripled 2x4 lap jointed for strength.

and it doubles as a handy redneck transmission jack lol.

Flounly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #18
frodo
Macgyver, that's me
GR_SUPPORTER.png

I use a torch a good bit, and I beat and bang on stuff
I like a wood top and a metal top work bench..half/half
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #19
daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodRacing View Post
nice lookin work bench!!! makes me want tear all my junk out of my garage and redo the whole thing..............but................i probably wont. Too busy doin everyone elses stuff the right way to concentrate on mine.
Isn't this always the way
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
daryl

Nice bench, well done
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote