Garage Forum > Vehicle / Your Rigs > General Vehicle Discussion > Another damn dealership attempted rip off

Help Support Garage Retreat by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
havasu
Garage Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 804 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Another damn dealership attempted rip off

My G/F has a '13 Kia Sorrento. There was a factory recall regarding metal shavings in the engine block, and the chance of engine seizure. We took the SUV to a local Kia dealer and I questioned them how they verify that there is metal shavings on the oil pan. I assumed they would pull the oil pan, check the oil pump screen, and confirm or deny if metal shavings were present. They said that would be cost preventative to do to 100,000 cars, so they are now just required to shove a microphone into the dip stick tube and listen. Well, of course, it passed with flying colors. Because of the possibility that shavings were missed, they now warranty all Kia Surrento engine blocks for a lifetime, regardless of mileage.

While in the shop, they do their complimentart 20 point inspection and said her car was in bad shape, and recommended they change the in line fuel filter ($100), do a throttle body clean up ($95), and change the air filter ($45). I commented to them that I'm surprised they did not recommend replacing that stale, old air in the tires for $20 a piece. I turned down all recommendations.

I went to Pep Boys, and picked up a new air filter for $12, then took the car to my trusted mechanic who confirmed that I did not have an in line fuel filter, and said my car only has the mesh filter next to the in tank fuel pump, and no way can that be replaced for only $100. I then asked him about the throttle body clean up and he laughed and said that too was a waste of money.

I now feel confident that this is just another rip off dealership trying to suck money from the public.

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #2
Chris
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 1074 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Every dealer I have ever been to somehow recommends thousands of dollars worth of service that I need right now or my truck will explode. I remember taking my 07 ram to the dealer right after I had a new tranny put in, they said my trans needed service badly and the fluid looked horrible because their records showed I declined it last time. I hate all dealerships

Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 899 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 408

Make sure you have a magnetized drain plug in the oil pan, monitor it at each oil change. Dealers make more profit in the service bays than the showroom. I detest visiting either...
zannej Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
havasu
Garage Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

On a similar topic, I know many of those quickie oil change locations that will suck out the engine oil from the dip stick tube, as a way to stop "loose drain plug" lawsuits. How can these places rip off folks knowing they really aren't flushing all the gunky oil?

Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

How do you even know they change the oil or filter if you're not under it watching them. I replaced the front end stuff on a f250 I use to have cause the "trusted" service center didn't know where the zerk fittings were.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Rusty
Forum Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 426 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I still change my own oil, but it is getting harder to find a place to get rid of it.

Dealer just changed the passenger air bag in my wife's Nissan. Drivers' side in under recall too as is the passenger side seat belt, but they can't get parts for either one.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
oldognewtrick
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Most of the places that sell oil will accept it around here to recycle. I usually buy my oil at Tractor Supply or Wal-Mart and drop the old at Pep Boys.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Rusty
Forum Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

We have an Auto Zone and O'Reillys, but they don't take old oil. None of the garages will take it either. Our "Lube Shop" closed a couple years ago.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
havasu
Garage Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

Speaking if stupid....most states have a core charge for when you buy batteries and other items, if they are rebuilt. I went into the local Pep Boys yesterday and now when you buy a battery, they now charge their usual core charge, but now add $1 to the cost, which is collected by the state for some stupid reason.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #10
Rusty
Forum Junkie
GR_ADMIN.png

The state collects that because they can.

Nick Likes This