Garage Forum > Garage Topics > Electrical / Plumbing / HVAC > YOur ideas on LED lighting in garage?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #21
WyrTwister
Garage Enthusiast

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykarter View Post
Anyone with any info on LED lighting in a garage? I've got a 40x40x16 metal building I'm just now getting around to wiring and lighting. White insulation on walls and ceiling. A friend of mine a couple of hours away from here just replace their church gym lights with high bay LED lights and loves them. BIG reduction in energy cost too. Any suggestions? How do you go about calculating how many and how powerful. I completed my rites of passage with dim shop lights long ago. I want the light in there to be somewhere between a welding arc and the Burning Bush. I want to be able to see down in my cylinders with the spark plugs removed. With the hood still on and the motor still in the truck.
Although the prices are coming down , LED lighting is not cheap , up front . And GOOD lighting is certainly not cheap .

Set a budget for fixtures and work from there . If you think you are going to want more than that , pre-wire additional ceiling outlet boxes ( 4-O boxes w/blank covers ) .

Electrical savings depend greatly on the number of hours per month they are turned on .

If you are going to install A/C , they will help with that . If you are going to add heat , they will contribute less to that .

God bless
Wyr

Old 07-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
Chris
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 1035 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I am currently installing 8' flourescents with tandem 4' bulbs in 5000k, had this set up in my last garage and loved how bright it was and this seems to be the cheapest way to get bright lighting in the shop.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 AM   #23
WyrTwister
Garage Enthusiast

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are probably correct . If they are T8 lamps . T12 lamps are getting expensive and may soon go obsolete .

God bless
Wyr

Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #24
Chris
Administrator
GR_ADMIN.png

Liked 1035 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Yes they are T8s. I installed four and will probably toss two more in.